Saturday 15 March 2014

Scenic Saturday

Today we traveled to the Grand Canyon, South Rim in Arizona. Heading toward the canyon we drove through Little Colorado River Gorge in the Navajo Nation. We stopped there to get our first peek at what we would be seeing and bought some Navajo jewelry.

We continued on Desert View Drive into the park. Scenic views of the canyon where often hidden from view by large cedar trees. After a quick bit of lunch we headed to Kaibab Trail to decent into the Canyon with the hope of getting to Ooh Ahh Point. (The canyon is over a mile down and takes more than one day to get all the way down and back up.)  I only descended down to the third hairpin turn before I realized that this hike was not for me. Vertigo left me completely disoriented and extremely scared!!  I hiked out and let Don and Leah continue on their own. Instead I went to see the theatre version of the Grand Canyon at the Visitor Centre. What a dweeb!  I walked around the canyon rim, saw elk and bought some gifts. 

Don and Leah really enjoyed their hike but said it was a good thing I didn't continue, because the trail got even narrower. Yikes!!  I'm sure they both have some marvellous photos!

Leah in front of Little Colorado River Gorge in the Navajo Nation.

Navajo jewelry for sale.  Had to stop and buy some!

First glimpse of the Grand Canyon.  Spectacular!!



At the Kaibab Trail head, ready to hike down to Ooh Ahh Point.

See the skinny ledges and the long drop!  
I just couldn't do it!  
Don and Leah went on their own.

I toured the visitor centre and watched the movie instead!

Saw some elk.

Mom and Calf.

View from the canyon rim where I walked.

Panoramic view of Canyon Rim.

No comments:

Post a Comment