Tuesday 18 October 2011

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - Setting silk dyes

This morning I was 'scootered' to Renee's studio, Goddess Silks, to finish my silk painting project.  When I walked into the studio the green silk background shone!  The silk material just seems to glow; it is beautiful.



I started the day by learning how to tjant.  This is how to put the fine lines of wax on the silk.  It is how a silk painting usually starts.  I am doing the process rather backwards.  Trying to do the fine tjanting, made me appreciate the fine work that Agus did on my pieces.  I did manage to get through my little handkerchief with only two poo-poos.


Once I was done the wax work, then I painted the little lotus I had tjanted.  It looks rather beginnerish, but that is what I am, just a beginner.


We spent the later part of the morning fixing the dyes and then boiling off the wax from both the kimono jacket and handkerchief.  To set the dye you immerse the fabric into water glass, some kind of chemical, that is akin to flubber; very gooey.


The goo is rinsed off and the fabric is placed in a hot water bath to get the wax out.  Once the wax is boiled off, the fabric is then cooled and rinsed many times.


Then we hung the pieces in the sun to dry.  It is very humid these days, Bali is nearing the rainy season, which is hotter due to the humidity.  (I can't imagine any warmer than it already is, but they say the rainy season is hotter!!)  So I imagine the fabric will take all day to dry.

Then Agus will drive the material over to the tailor, who will roll the hems by hand.  It will probably take her all day tomorrow!  I hope to have these two silk pieces before I leave on Thursday to fly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment