Thursday 13 October 2011

Thursday, October 13, 2011 – Earthquake!!


Today was a day of rest.  Mary and I went down to Nogo to try on our clothes we are having made.  She is getting three dresses and I am getting a blazer made.  We took a taxi down to the shop and began walking back to our hotel.

www.nogobali.com

We were in a small boutique type shop when we felt the tremors of an earthquake.  I looked at the shopkeeper, a Balinese woman, who looked very frightened.  I headed for the door and went outside.  Many people were exiting shops and congregating on the street.  I looked up and saw electrical wires, so I moved away from them.  I looked to the street and saw a silver van rocking back and forth.  Then I looked at my feet.  The ground was moving.  Whoa!  Scary!

Eventually the shaking stopped and we returned to the shop.  We have been waiting for more tremors, but have felt none so far.  The people from California thought it was nothing, as they feel tremors often, but I was very scared.



Apparently the epicenter was in 62 miles from Danpasar, the capital city of Bali, which is only 30 miles away from where I am in Sanur.  The magnitude of about 6.1 was not extreme but may have caused some damage.  Here at the hotel there are some tiles missing and cracks in outer walls.  No major damage, and no one hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment