Sunday 22 December 2013

Bali Presentation at MPQ

This month was the last MPQ meeting for 2013 and had a Bali theme. Quilters LOVE sewing with batiks and the original and best batik cloth comes from Bali. This December evening the Manitoba weather was the complete opposite of Bali, so we had to set the mood in the hall. Palm tree decorations and leis helped 'warm' us up.

I presented a slide show of my 2011 trip to Bali with various samples of cloth items from there. It was fun to present this topic to my Manitoba Quilting colleagues as they are fibre crazy, just like me!!  I focused the presentation on the fibre stops we had on our two week tour as I only had a half hour to present to the 135 people in attendance. 

The main areas I focused on were the Threads of Life organization that is helping maintain original methods and knowledge about fibre arts in Bali and the various workshops we did on:  indigo dyeing, floor loom weaving, back strap weaving, sacred cloth, ikat weaving, and silk painting. At the end of the presentation I gave away four draw prizes. I think it was a successful presentation. Many women told me they enjoyed it and they asked questions about going on the tour. I hope the tour leader, Barb, gets some MPQ customers for her Bali Fibre Tours trip. I would go again in a moment!!!

Check her out at www.balifibertours.com


Presenting Bali Fibre Tour to MPQ members.

Notice the beautiful Bali batik quilt in the background.  

Yvonne showing a sample of the indigo dyeing I did on the tour.

A sample of silk painting I did.

Showing my silk painted kimono.

Annette and Yvonne holding my Bali batik bedspread.
Magic Squares with Celtic Knot corners.
(Think I need taller helpers?)

Some of the 135 MPQ members in attendance.

1 comment:

  1. Krista, thank you so much for sharing your Bali experience with your friends at the quilt guild meeting. You were such a delight to have along in Bali! I can honestly say my tours are getting better and better as I find more new resources and fun fiber activities to share with my guests. I hope anyone interested in a textile tour to Bali - whether she is a quilter, garment sewer, dyer or weaver - will check my website and contact me with any questions. I have both a spring and fall tour planned for 2014. - Barb

    ReplyDelete