Friday 22 February 2013

Spinning was a blast!

Today I went back to the Fibre Factory to learn to use a spinning wheel. Last week I had a lesson on how to spin using a drop spindle, so I had a bit of an idea how to draw the roving out and spin it. However, I can't say I really enjoyed it. I never felt like I had great control and hence no rhythm. It just always felt like work. So I wasn't sure whether I would enjoy the spinning wheel or not.

First Barb taught me how to card the raw fleece. Carding was difficult at first because I was pushing the fibers too deep into the prongs of the brushes. Once I lightened my touch it carded much more easily. I made a bunch of carded rolls (roving).

Then Barb helped me to chose a spinning wheel to use. The store has many makes and models. I chose one that looked like my aunt Vyra's. It had one pedal or treadle to push and three simple speed devices. Very basic. A good model to learn on.

I got the hang of spinning very quickly. It was fun! I felt I had control and got into a rhythm. A great right brained activity. First I spun store bought roving. Once I got used to the technique I spun the carded rolls I made. My hand carded roving spun like a dream. Wow!!

Once I had spun two bobbins full. I learned to ply the yarns together to produce a two ply yarn. Plying is simpler than drawing roving and spinning it into yarn. In days of yore, the children would often do the carding and the plying.

To ply you put two full bobbins on holders down near your feet. Attach the two yarns to a new bobbin on the spinning wheel and spin the two yarns together. I was super pleased with my first skein of 2 ply yarn!!

Now to get home and borrow Vyra's wheel. Dust it off and oil it up - I'm coming to spin!!











No comments:

Post a Comment