Thursday 14 February 2013

Ever heard of ....

Swedish weaving. New to me. Beautiful yarn work.

Yesterday, at the Mesa Dunes hall where I was quilting with the park quilting group, I met a lady who wanted me to do zigzagging on some cloth she was going to wash and didn't want to fray. As I was zigzagging the raw edges we talked about this unique material, called monks cloth, and what she was using it for. She said a friend was going to teach her Swedish weaving.

Curiosity on my part led her to run over to her friend's mobile and get some samples. I fell in love with the weaving right away. The monks cloth is so soft, yet textured and heavy enough to be a great afghan, yet the yarn work is so light and intriguing. Gorgeous. See the photos to get an idea.

Oh no, another disappearing fibre art that I would love to learn. I need a dozen more lives to live!!

An entire afghan.  All the colours and the fringe is yarn woven onto the monks cloth.

A close up of the yarn woven into the monks cloth.

The needle used to weave the yarn is flat.  Here you can see the detail of the monks cloth showing the coarse weave that gives the grid for following when weaving in the yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment