Thursday 21 February 2013

Bali Strips Challenge

I joined a Bali Strips sharing group with Manitoba Prairie Quilters this fall. Each group has 10 quilters who share 4 Width Of Fabric (WOF) Bali strips with each other. Thus each quilter gets 40 Bali strips, nearly a complete jelly roll. Then each quilter is to design a pattern that suits the strips of fabric received.

I used a diamond saw tooth design to create a total of 12 saw blade blocks. I had to choose some pattern that could accommodate a large variety of colours, yet still have some unity within the entire quilt.

I think the completed top looks very nice. Now I will have to decide on boarders, quilt it and take it to the MPQ meeting when we all reveal our work. Ultimately the completed quilts will all be donated. A great challenge for a great cause.

Squaring up a block.

Each block had a range of colours, so I tried to put coordinating colours together.  Also I tried to put the darkest colour, then a middle range, then the lightest, followed by the blank.

Put the four blocks together to produce one saw blade.

Twelve different saw blades completes the main quilt top.
What do you think of my use of all the coloured strips I received?

1 comment: