Sunday 18 September 2011

Never too cold to quilt!

Monday, September 12
Last year the TCI Art Club pieced together colourful quilt tops for children that they will donate to Security Blankets for Kids, a non-profit organization out of Brandon that donates blankets to Women’s Shelters across the province.  Today I showed Amy how to use the long-arm quilting machine.  She quilted her previously pieced colourful child’s quilt top.  She did an awesome job!  Now she will sew on the binding.  The Art Club has 4 other quilt tops to finish up.  Then I will drop all the quilts in Brandon.
 
Amy quilting on the long arm sewing machine.

 
Quilting done, now time to sew on the binding.



Tuesday, September 13
Traveled to Winnipeg to get vaccinations.  Haven’t had many shots since my six-week shot as a baby when I reacted to the vaccination by having seizures and a constricted airway.  Both the health nurse and I were very nervous because of my previous reaction.  I received tetanus, Hep A and B.  I felt a little lightheaded but did not react violently.  I am also taking oral typhoid meds for a week.  Later next month I will have to go back for an additional Hep B, booster polio and anti-malaria meds.  Hope the cure doesn’t kill me!!
Also stopped at Carellan Sewing Centre to see the various challenge contest entries.  Amazing to see the variety of pieces. 

Various ‘challenges’ at Carellan Sewing in Winnipeg.

Wednesday, September 14
Yvonne and Annette came over and we had a quilting lesson on Fractured Pictures.  We always have such a blast when we are together!  Lots of learning and laughs!
 
Yvonne and her fractured pictures piecing of a zebra.
Annette’s work in progress.

Thursday, September 15
Yvonne stayed overnight, so today we worked on another new quilting technique.  This technique is pretty, but it uses an awful lot of fabric without really showing very much of the pattern on the fabric.  It also takes a lot of sewing and pressing to get anything much accomplished.  I’m glad we did it, but I doubt I will use this technique very often.
 

Friday, September 16
Had an early coffee visit with Winnifred.  She brought by some pens, lipsticks, blush, etc. that I can take as give-aways to Bali.  Then I organized a bunch of supplies to take to Bali, got out the suitcases, etc.  I leave for Bali in 11 days, but who is counting!  (When I get to Bali I am going to meet up with a previous exchange student to TCI, Anja.  She will pick me up and we will tour Bali on her scooter.) 

Saturday, September 17
Today I was a golf widow.  I was bored.  Would have loved some company, but all my friends were busy.  So, I sewed and read.  I worked on a bag insert for my carry-on bag.  The insert is full of pockets to keep things organized.  In the past everything just gravitated to the bottom of the bag!  I hope it works.

Getting my carry-on bag ready for the plane flights to Bali.

No comments:

Post a Comment