Saturday 15 June 2013

Blue Hills Fibre Festival

I headed to Shilo today to attend a fibre festival. There were many vendors selling yarn, roving and fleece, as well as knitted and woven items. There were workshops going on to learn how to spin using a drop spindle, how to prepare fleece and how to dye yarn. All very interesting.

I took two spinning wheels with me in hopes that I could get some assistance on how to set them up and get them working properly. The Made-well manufactured in Sifton, given to me by my aunt Vyra, was tight and difficult to treadle. With the help of a couple of people we were able to set it properly and now it treadles smoothly.

The other wheel a Louet, I borrowed from a craft guild in the area, worked well once Don did some minor repair work. At the fibre festival I got some instruction on how it works.

A fibre artist showing how to use a triangular weaving loom.

Two sisters (Ray's nieces) who sell alpaca goods.

One of the younger generation getting a feel for the wheel!

Yarn dyeing workshop in progress.

The weaver, now spinning from her own alpaca fleece.  
Her spun yarn is so fine you can barely see it going to the wheel!

1 comment: