Friday 4 October 2013

Discharging

Aaron has moving into a beautiful old apartment.  He has just about everything he needs, but was missing some curtains for his bedroom.  I bought some fabric to make curtains for him. The fabric was plain green (unknown fibre content, but probably a poly cotton) and I thought about how to embellish it. After walking by our silver maple tree many times and admiring the falling leaves I decided to try discharging.

Discharging is a process of releasing some of the dye already in fabric.  I used a 1:2, bleach water solution, but found that was not strong enough for this fabric so went to a 1:1 ratio.


I placed the silver maple leaves on a sample strip of fabric.

I decided to add some cedar branches too.  I sprayed on the bleach solution and waited ten minutes.  To neutralize the bleach I dipped the cloth into 4 litres of water with 3 tablespoons of sodium metabisulfite.  I found this wasn't as bleached (discharged) as I would have liked so I decided to strengthen the bleach solution and allow more time.

I laid out the two pieces of material that would become Aaron's curtains on our deck.  I placed the leaves and branches on in a pleasing arrangement.  Of course the wind started to get up and a few of the leaves wanted to blow away.  I had to work quickly!

I sprayed on the 1:1 bleach water solution and waited ten minutes.  I still wasn't happy with the amount of discharging, so I got undiluted bleach and sprayed it on as well, and waited another ten minutes.

Voila.  Here is the result.  As the material was not 100% cotton the discharge was not as spectacular as I wanted.  Here it is.

I decided to further embellish this material before I finished sewing the casing and hem.  I will get pics of the continuation in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment