Tuesday 20 August 2013

Pickles Lead to Dyeing

The last two days I have been dealing with copious quantities of cucumbers! I made a few quarts of dills, but most of the cucumbers were already to big for dills. So I made a couple of batches of refrigerator pickles, plus sandwich stacker dills and spicy cucumber rings. I hope they are all edible!

As I searched through the cupboard for pickling ingredients I spied a jar of turmeric. I had heard that it makes a fabulous dye. So guess what? While making all these pickles I put on a couple of crock pots of wool dye! The results were spectacular. Turmeric makes a gorgeous yellowish orange dye.

Lots of pickles:  left to right - Dill Sandwich Stackers, Dills, and Spiced Cuc Rings.
Missing are the two batches of Refrigerator Pickles.

No this is not mashed pumpkin!
It is wool dyeing in turmeric!

The dry turmeric dyed wool.

Second batch is duller - 
same turmeric dye, so it will be depleted and I added a pinch of iron sulphate.

Also played with Kool Aid as a dye.

VERY vibrant colours!!

No comments:

Post a Comment