Tuesday 26 January 2016

Quilting in the Desert

I booked in to a well known quilt retreat called Quilting in the Desert to take a five day fabric painting class with Patt Blair. We are using Tsukineko Inks in the class. 

The first day we organized our inks and practiced using this new (to most of us) medium. Patti demonstrated dry and wet brush strokes. Later that day she also demonstrated painting faces. These little demos are very helpful. 

The first day I tackled a portrait of our great nephew Nolan playing with a bull dozer in some gravel. I know what I would do differently next time, but I think it turned out fairly well. 

The second day I began a portrait of Don on a hike as he was taking some photographs. The light and shadow in this painting are very strong. Much of his face is hidden behind the camera. He is sitting on a rock that isn't painted yet. 








1 comment: