Saturday 18 June 2016

Mary Pal Class. Day Two

On the second day we chose an animal to recreate using the cheesecloth technique taught to us by Mary.  ( I chose an alpaca as it reminded me of Lisa's alpacas that I usually help with on shearing day. This year I missed shearing as I am in Toronto!)

We began by transferring the image on to  duralar, a strong plastic that can withstand heat a light cutting. I had four values - black (no cheesecloth), light white (one layer of cheesecloth), medium white (2 layers of cheesecloth) and bright white (3 layers of cheesecloth).

For my alpaca template I used a red sharpie marker to indicate bright white areas, blue sharpie to indicate black areas and some fine lines to show the areas of light and medium light values. Now my alpaca template looked like a possessed demon!!

After placing another sheet of duralar over my sharpie marker drawing (to keep the sharpie ink from bleeding) I began to layer the white cheesecloth and fix it down with glue. This is very time consuming. I didn't get nearly done!!  Lots of work yet to do. 



Alpaca photocopy with sharpie marketed template beside. 

Partway through the process I slid a black sheet under to see the effect of my work. 

As far as I got. Lots more to do. 

Mary and I say goodbye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment