Saturday 21 September 2013

Felting Machine

Marj loaned me her felting machine and I have been playing! A felting machine looks like a sewing machine, but it doesn't sew with thread. The needles don't have a hole in them. They are just straight pins. These pins travel up and down and push the fibre through the underneath fabric and causes it to stick in place.

After I had played with it a bit, I made a decorative pin to wear on my jacket or sweater. It is made out of various yarns I dyed with natural materials and spun. What do you think??

Felting machine.

Close up of the felting needles pushing the yarn fibres through the orange fabrics.
(Sure don't want to get your fingers under the needles!!  Notice the safety guard.)

Felted decorative pin.  Yarns dyes with beets, grapes, turmeric, sunflower seeds, rhubarb leaves, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment