Wednesday 21 November 2012

Tour of Parliament Buildings

Gorgeous sunny day in Ottawa. Went on a tour of the Parliament Buildings. I was one of about 40 people on the tour, of which only a half a dozen of us were Canadian, others from US, England, Australia, India and Korea. We Began in the House of the Senate.

We also toured the Parliamentary Library, a first for me. It is very Victorian, ornately carved wood balustrades and wooden inlaid floors. Gorgeous, unfortunately no photos allowed! Darn. It smelled of dry cellulose glue. A definitely old books smell!

Then I went up the Peace Tower. The elevator stopped on the 7th floor to let the carillon player out. I really wanted to see the keyboard for the bells, but that isn't open to the public. Instead I later sat outside on a park bench in the sun and listened to her play for 15 minutes. Glorious!!

While up in the Peace Tower I was able to see all over Ottawa. Check out the photo of the roof of the library, another towards the National Art Gallery with Notre Dame Cathedral and Rideau Hall in the distance. It was great to get an overhead view of the places I walk.

Now I am sitting in line waiting to get in to Question Period. Wednesdays are a good day to attend, as most delegations are here then and the most MPs and Prime Minister attend. Hope I get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment