Saturday 10 November 2018

"Arizona" Crocheting

Once Jin Choi had the concept for "Arizona!" she had to enlist the support of volunteer crocheters to build enough strips and motif blocks to make the 600 feet by 8 feet tall lace ribbon. 

I was one of over 100 volunteer crocheters who worked on pieces. I was assigned strip #2. It took a while to decipher Jin’s architectural style drawings to interpret the crochet work. But once we ironed out some kinks we all got busy crocheting using marine grade polyester rope. 


Here I am beginning one strip. As you can see I have used colour coded yarn to help me know where my intersections are. 

Here is a picture of the design map I was given to build my strip. It wasn’t written as a crochet pattern but rather like a design map. A little intimidating at first, but once I figured it out it was easy to follow. 


I ended up crocheting three strips, each strip being almost 14 feet in length. 


My ‘small’ part probably took about 30 hours to complete, but once you add all the others crocheters the total (estimated) time spent to create the lace ribbon was around 7000 hours!

Whew!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment